Zolpidem is the name of generic Ambien. It is used to treat sleeping problem Insomnia in adults. It is an inexpensive drug, and more popular than the other sleeping pills. It is classified under the class of drugs sedative-hypnotics. It is usually for short-term treatment for the sleep disorder patients. It helps you to have a better night’s sleep.
How does generic Ambien work?
This medication works by affecting the chemicals in the brain GABA. It produces the calming effect on your brain. As a result, it helps the patients to have proper sleep if they have a trouble of falling asleep.
Generic Ambien dosage information:
It is available in the dosage strengths of 5mg and 10mg. Ambien CR(controlled release) tablets are created on the dosage strength of 6.25 mg and 12.5 mg.
For women with Insomnia, the initial dose prescribed is 5mg of immediate release tablets and a 6.25mg dose of extended-release tablets.
For men patients, the initial dose prescribed is 5mg or 10mg dosage of immediate-release tablets and 6.25 mg or 12.5mg dosage of the extended-release tablets.
The maximum dose of (IR) immediate release tablet is 10 mg/day and the maximum dose of (ER) extended-release tablet is 12.5 mg/day.
How to use the Generic Ambien effectively?
- The dosage prescribed to the individuals varies depending upon the various factors like age, gender, health condition and the severity of the sleep problem. So, never share this medicine with the other patients
- Do not increase or decrease the dosage, stop the treatment suddenly or take it for longer periods without the proper doctor assistance. Follow the guidelines properly that is mentioned on your prescription label.
- The generic Ambien dosage varies for men and women, and it is not approved for children below 18 to use. Misuse of this medication by abusers can lead to adverse effects.
- It is suggested for an individual only for short-term use. This medication is taken 1 weeks – 10 days.
- The pills should be swallowed whole. Do not crush it, chew it or break into pieces.
- It should be kept away from children and pet. Keep the bottle with a tight cover when not in use.
- The medication should be properly stored at the room temperature away from the heat and moisture.
Side effects of the medication:
The side effects of this medication are classified as common, less common and the adverse effect. If the patient found the serious or adverse effect of this medication, they should immediately contact the doctors and get their help.
Common side effects:
- Memory loss problem
- Dizziness and drowsiness
- Lightheaded feeling
- Dry mouth
- Stuffy nose
- Feeling tired
- Loss of coordination
- Stomach upset
- Muscle pain
- A headache
The serious side effects:
- Chest pain
- Trouble in breathing
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Behavior changes, anxiety, and confusion in the mind
- Serious allergic reactions: swelling of face, throat, and tongue
The side effects should be watched carefully. When the effect continues for the longer duration of time, it is advised to report your conditions and symptoms to your healthcare providers.
Precautions to be noted before taking this medication:
- Avoid taking generic Ambien medication if you are allergic to it
- Tell your doctors if you suffer from these health conditions,
- kidney, liver, lung, chronic obstructive pulmonary or muscle disease
- sleep apnea or mental disorder
- sudden mood changes
- alcohol or drug addiction
- The effect of generic Ambien last until the next day. You may experience dizziness or blurred vision, wait until the effects get rid of the body before doing dangerous activities and driving vehicles.
- If you have drunk alcohol or alcoholic beverages, it suggested avoiding taking this medication.
- This medication is not approved for an individual under 18 years of age. As it could cause the serious effects on them.
- The sedative effects of this Ambien generic will be higher in older adults. The effects include dizziness, drowsiness, and unsteadiness.
- Do not take this drug, if you are pregnant or breastfeeding women. As it could produce the effect on the baby.
Generic Ambien drug interactions:
This medication should be taken with caution when using it with other drugs. As the interactions may occur between the drugs and cause the serious effect on the patient health.
- Sleep pills
- Anxiety medications (like alprazolam, diazepam, lorazepam)
- Muscle relaxants (like carisoprodol and cyclobenzaprine)
- Pain relievers
- A cough and cold medicines
- Sodium oxybate
It is advisable to inform all the medicines that you are taking to prevent the interactions.